1 Medium Sweet Potato
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Slice the sweet potato and place on a foil lined baking sheet. Lightly spray with cooking spray and sprinkle with salt.
- Bake until the sides touching the baking sheet is browned, about 20 minutes. Then flip and bake until crisp, about an additional 10 minutes or less.
Note: cooking times are for medium thickness fries or rounds. Thinner fries will crisp up easier and quicker and Thicker cut will be potato-ier and may require more time to cook.
Nutritional Value: 110 calories in 1 Medium Sweet Potato
There are 340 calories in 1 serving of McDonald's French Fries (Medium). Calorie breakdown: 43% fat, 52% carbs, 5% protein.
Sweet Potatoes For Weight Loss
Sweet potatoes are also a great food to help you lose weight because they are:
- Lower in calories
- Low on the glycemic index (which means that they won’t spike your blood sugar)
- High in fiber and potassium
- Stronger anti-inflammatory properties than white potato
- 34,590 iu’s of Vitamin A versus 17.3 iu in a white potato
And, according to the Mayo Clinic,
“Because low glycemic index foods are absorbed more slowly, they stay in your digestive tract longer. This is why these foods are sometimes called slow carbs. These foods may help control appetite and delay hunger cues, which can help with weight management. Balanced blood sugar also can help reduce the risk of insulin resistance.”